To check your voter status or mailing address go to the Montana My Voter Page.
|School Election||First Tuesday after the first Monday in May, each year|
|State and County Primary||First Tuesday after the first Monday in June, even years|
|State and County General||First Tuesday after the first Monday in November, even years|
|City Primary||First Tuesday after the second Monday in September, odd years, if needed|
|City General||First Tuesday after the first Monday in November, odd years|
Please complete the Voter Registration Form (PDF) and return it to the Madison County Elections Office.
Voter registration closes 30 days prior to Election Day, then we go into a Late Registration Period, where Voters must register in person. Late Registration ends at 12:00pm the Monday BEFORE the election.
13-2-304. Late registration -- late changes. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), the following provisions apply:
(a) An elector may register or change the elector's voter registration information after the close of regular registration as provided in 13-2-301 and vote in the election if the election administrator in the county where the elector resides receives and verifies the elector's voter registration information prior to the close of the polls on election day.
(b) Late registration is closed from noon to 5 p.m. on the day before the election.
(c) Except as provided in 13-2-514(2)(a) and subsection (1)(d) of this section, an elector who registers or changes the elector's voter information pursuant to this section may vote in the election only if the elector obtains the ballot from and returns it to the location designated by the county election administrator.
(d) With respect to an elector who registers late pursuant to this section for a school election conducted by a school clerk, the elector may vote in the election only if the elector obtains from the county election administrator a document, in a form prescribed by the secretary of state, verifying the elector's late registration. The elector shall provide the verification document to the school clerk, who shall issue the ballot to the elector and enter the verification document as part of the official register.
(2) If an elector has already been issued a ballot for the election, the elector may change the elector's voter registration information only if the original voted ballot has not been received at the county election office, or received by the school district if the district is administering the election, and if the original ballot that was issued is marked by the issuing county as void in the statewide voter registration system, or by the school district if the district is administering the election, prior to the change.
History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 286, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 5, Ch. 273, L. 2007; amd. Sec. 10, Ch. 297, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 13, Ch. 242, L. 2011; amd. Sec. 12, Ch. 336, L. 2013; amd. Sec. 173, Ch. 49, L. 2015.
To vote in Montana, you must:
- Be registered as required by law
- Be 18 years old or older on or before the next election
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have lived in Montana and in the county in which you intend to vote for at least 30 days
You cannot vote if:
- You're a convicted felon serving a sentence in a penal institution
- You've been judged in a court of law to be of unsound mind
Voting by Absentee Ballot
Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot, even if he or she is able to vote in person on Election Day. To vote absentee, you must first apply for an absentee ballot. Applications (PDF) are available during a period beginning 75 days before Election Day and ending at noon on the day before the election. You may pick up an application at your local election office, or you may call the office and ask to have an application mailed to you. You can also download the application and mail or drop it off at the election office. Please call the Election Office if you have any questions.